Reports to the 16th Street Board of Directors.
The Director of the 16th Street Tourism Program will exemplify the very essence of the 16th Street Baptist Church. To effectively execute the mission of 16th Street Baptist Church, the Director must be a Christ follower, be focused on business leadership, and be passionate about non-profit fundraising and the visitor’s experience at 16th Street Baptist Church. The Tourism Program is focused on efficiency without compromising service. The director must make decisions that are mission focused but backed by sound financial stewardship. The Director must have keen instincts in the ways of growing and scaling in a start-up environment and continue to establish solution-based applications, processes, and procedures.
- Manage the day-to-day financial and administrative affairs and operations of the 16th Street Baptist Church Tourism Program, including budget planning and accounting, program services, fund development, grant management, and volunteer retention and recruitment.
- Manage personnel matters, including hiring, leading, motivating and coaching all team members, staff, interns and volunteers.
- Organize public presentations, programs, trainings, and outreach events designed to increase the public’s access to the 16th Street Baptist Church stories and experiences. 4. Recruit and manage partnerships with community agencies and organizations to promote the 16th Street Baptist Church Tourism Program and improve its outreach. 5. Keep the Board of Directors and Pastor informed of the day-to-day operations of the Tourism Program and provide insight and guidance on projects, needs, opportunities and funding.
- Demonstrate passion and compassion in working with people and the significance of 16th Street Baptist Church.
- Represent 16th Street Baptist Church positively and building strong relationships within the civil rights community and community as a whole.
- Take a leadership role in fundraising and development and recruiting and maintaining new and past donors.
- Maintain a team of volunteers to adequately meet organizational goals and expectations, including but not limited to scheduled opening and closing of the Tour experience at the church.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office, social media and cloud-based tools required. Experience with Google apps, Quickbooks, CRMs, Mailchimp, etc is a plus. • Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
Compensation includes competitive salary, health insurance allowance, paid vacation and state/federal holidays, and paid training/travel. Standard Tue.-Sat. office schedule expected, with some after-hours work necessary.
How to Apply: Submit a Cover Letter and Resume listing Five references with addresses and phone numbers and/or email contact to: 16th Street Baptist Church Ref: Director of Tourism; 1530 6th Avenue, North; Birmingham, Alabama 35203 on or before June 4, 2021.